Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney Christine Dabney is offline

Default Menu Planning?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:00:55 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>

>> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

>My apartment pantry, though small, is well - stocked (I'd even say
>"stuffed")...I am in the habit of always having prepped vegetables (common
>stuff like onions, celery, carrots, etc.) in the fridge and some frozen veg,
>homemade stocks and soups, etc. in the freezer. I am also making my own
>salad dressings. So I can throw together a decent and healthy meal whether
>it's for me or guests...usually all I'll have to buy is meat for the main
>course...
>
>This all saves time and money...I don't "plan" menus per se but I have all
>the ingredients at hand...

The thing is, this apartment doesn't have any, and I mean ANY pantry
space. It barely has space to put dishes, glassware, and pots and
pans. The freezer in this fridge has an ice maker that takes up half
the space...

I did bring my cast iron shelving unit, so I am using that for pantry
storage, but even then, it gets jammed with what I use: vinegars,
oils, spices, and the other usual staples like sugar, flour, rice,
etc. I barely have any room for any sort of canned goods.

The onions, celery, garlic and carrots, I usually have.

As soon as I get this kitchen all "unpacked", I will take a pic for
you all.

Christine