Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz cathyxyz is offline

Default Menu Planning?

Anthony wrote:

> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
> Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
> main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
> meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
> vegetables. Yesterday, for example, we had hamburgers, slow-roasted
> tomatoes, caramelized onions and stir fried spinach with garlic.
> Toaday we'll have ham and a salad and tomorrow I'll go to whole foods
> and see what fish looks good and decide what veg to go with.
> Interested to know how others approach this.

We eat our main meal in the evening... and it's not so "cut and dried"
as your "plan". Goes like this in our house - one of us says, "WAF[1]
tonight?" - at some point in the afternoon, and we decide from there.
It's usually, "Well we had chicken/steak/fish/pasta (whatever) last
night - so it must be something different tonight". We do try and eat
enough "green stuff" - (I love veggies, DH eats them cos they are
"healthy" <grin>). And when I run out of ideas, I read RFC and it
usually gives me some good tips/recipes!

[1] = What About Food
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)