Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,alt.fan.miss-manners,ny.general
ZedBanty ZedBanty is offline

Default Fee for Sharing???

In article .com>, NYC XYZ
says...

>Say, what's this crazy fee for sharing that, apparently, some
>restaurants charge??
>
>There is this spanish restaurant that charged me some kind of penalty
>fee for sharing a pot of seafood paella (or whatever the hell it's
>called) with my date who doesn't eat much. The pot of boiled rice and
>seafood bits (big deal!), a salad, and two soups was like $30 already,
>and the manager charged me like another $6 for sharing! WTF is up with
>this??? Is this a very common practice in hoity places?? el senor
>claims it's for having to wash the "extra" dishes and ultensils...?how
>do you say WTF in espagnol? I dine rather widely and have never heard
>of this BS.

I don't know about that practice enough to comment on it as far as propriety (I
don't defend it or condemn it at this point), but you should know that
restaurants operate on a fairly small margin. And that margin is met by having
a certain throughput of diners per seat through the day. If their meals are
often shared (paella as a speciality may be especially subject to that), they
effectively have fewer diners than they've hosted. That's both an opportunity
cost and a real cost.

ZedBanty