Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,alt.fan.miss-manners,ny.general
ZedBanty ZedBanty is offline

Default Fee for Sharing???

In article .com>, NYC XYZ
says...

>Steve Pope wrote:
>> A waitstaff angling for a better tip will leave out the
>> plate sharing fee even if there is one mentioned on the
>> menu. Especially if you are not under-ordering in general,
>> it's reasonable not to charge it. It's really there
>> for people who are taking up too much table space in
>> exchange for not ordering enough -- such fees go to the
>> house, not the server.
>>
>> Steve

>Thanks Steve and Ericka...I guess the place was much more "hoity" than
>my usual ethnic haunts! I've never had such a fee in any Asian
>restaurant (Chinese, Thai, Indian, Pakistani, etc.), even those with
>waitstaff and real china, so maybe it's a European cuisine kind of
>thing. Though...I've dined at other Spanish restaurants before, and
>Italian ones, too, and this plate-sharing fee is news to me. That's
>just plain ridiculous...I wish I had the presence of mind at the time
>to ask for a $6 salad instead of paying a $6 fee....

Possibly - this kind of restaurant gets impacted quite a lot by plate-sharing.

I know of one women's wear store that has a rather strict non-return policy on a
certain category of their stock. Before that policy, the returns were nearly
70%. That store and category of stock was a maternity wear store, and the
category was their dress and evening wear. The owner had grown tired of being a
free-for-rent outlet for maternity evening wear.

ZedBatny