Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius Harry Demidavicius is offline

Default Electric Smokers?

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 04:42:45 GMT, "Tom Lange" >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>I live in an apartment in Los Angeles and have used either my old trusty
>Weber kettle or a gas grill out on my balcony for years, but my landlord has
>recently banned all barbecues on the premises. Apparently this has to do
>with fire regulations and insurance companies not covering landlords whose
>tenants use barbecues anywhere other than in a common area well away from
>any apartments. Last week someone got caught using one on his balcony and
>was served an eviction notice.
>Needless to say, I'm not at all pleased with having to put my Weber in
>storage, and I'm not particularly pleased about having to use the natural
>gas grill in the common area.
>
>Today I was reading about electric smokers and I was wondering if I might be
>able to get away with using a small residential electric smoker like a
>Cookshack or Smoketex out on my balcony. I prefer smoking to grilling
>anyway. For anyone other than a die-hard purist, would something like this
>work for pork ribs, chicken, tri-tip and brisket? If so, what's the best
>kind to consider and what features should I look for?
>
>I need my barbecue fix. Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
>
>Cheers!
>Tom

The sentence above says "all" barbecues [except those in a designated
cooking area.

I'd certainly ask for written permission before buying anything.
But, I expect you have two choices - use that designated area or move.
I doubt if you will get any exceptions.

Harry