Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Reduction ad absurdum

wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot reduce a sauce within the time a recipe
> suggests. Any recipe. Never. I know a healthy simmer, but it just
> doesn't cut it. Last night 4 1/2 cups made it down to 4 in 15 minutes.
> The recipe suggested it should be 2 1/2 cups. Another 10 minutes got
> it down to 3 cups where I just quit. Do recipes really mean boil when
> they say simmer?

Can't really say, can't see your secret recipe. Some reductions call
for simmer, some can handle a fast boil, but need to see your secret
recipe. Also you may have a wimpy stove and you should be using a
large diameter pot... the greater the surface area the quicker water
can evaporate... most times the fry pan, braisier, or roasting pan the
food was cooked in is used for quick de-glaze-reductions. For
thicker/creamier sauces you need to reduce more slowly, and keep
stirring... who said it's easy...

Sheldon Schvitz