Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lefty[_1_] Lefty[_1_] is offline

Default Zatarain's Dirty Rice

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's Dirty

Rice.
> Not as a side, just for dinner.
>
> Now, I normally would prepare this as a side using a recipe given to me by

> former co-worker, Mz. Cloutier from Houma, Louisana. But I suspect she

just
> adapted it from Paul Prudhomme's recipe, which I've prepared in the past
> (excellent!). But that serves about 10 people. I'm one people
>
> At any rate, I have no chicken gizzards or livers to grind up to add to

this
> so I'm just using ground beef. I'll tart up the mixture with chicken

stock
> rather than water; I'll add some diced green bell pepper, onion and garlic
> and a squirt of fresh lemon juice. Alas, I have no celery. I'll taste it
> and add some hot sauce and maybe even ground sassafrass leaves (file

powder)
> after the rice cooks. File is a thickener as well as a seasoning. This

is
> one quick cooking boxed meal which I adore. And as I said, I eat this as

> meal, over a period of a several days or I can freeze the leftovers. For
> those of you who don't know, cooked rice freezes very well.
>
> Jill

I tried the Zatarain's Gumbo. It called for okra --no fresh okra around here
so I tried some canned okra. Turned out to be pretty gross --the canned okra
tasted unpleasant and ruined the rest. They're probably tasty with a little
fixin' up -- a little hog jowls and poke salad on the side :-)
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful