Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant Michael Plant is offline

Default Steeping tea in milk segue into Menghai

Lewis 4/13/06

> Michael Plant > writes:
>
>> Lewis
4/13/06

writes:

>>> I think I know (and love) what you mean by algae: the taste and smell
>>> of a freshwater pond in summer. For years I've thought that, if by
>>> some miracle - which might be good or bad - our vocabulary for
>>> describing tea gets standardized, the word for this will be "pondy".

>> Pondy it is, and I wonder if it could be what I affectionately call "musty"
>> on occasion. Michael

> Well, it isn't what *I* call "musty": a kind of mammalian scent, I'd
> say. When I think of the mustiness of a nice young Pu'er, I think of
> my cat Buster's fur. We aren't getting this thing standardized, are we?
>
> /Lew

No, we're not. But it's in the discussion of the words rather than the words
per se that get us there. Once we're standardized, we're boring. (Hey, some
of us perhaps accomplish that feat already.) I'll see if Jenny's fur works
as well as Buster's. I think perhaps that smell is "soupy."

Michael