Posted to alt.food.wine
Fred[_2_] Fred[_2_] is offline

Default 1970 Lafite Rothschild

Fred > wrote in news:dIi%f.4910$3s4.1848@fed1read11:

> I recently purchased 6 bottles of 70 Lafite Rothschild. I opened one
> tonight. I have not tasted it yet. I have some real questions about
> the authenticity of these bottles. The labels were pristine. They did
> not look almost 35 years old. Upon removing the cork it looked the
> appropriate age. There was next to nothing printed on it. What was
> there was next to illegible. I do not have anything to compare the
> cork to. I am used to the vintage and the seal of the vinyard printed
> on the cork. Has anyone here had a Lafite Rothschild to compare it to?
> The bouquet of the wine was very good. I will report the taste after
> dinner.

Once the cork dried the writing on it was more visible. There is an oval
picture that is hardly visible. Around it is GRAND VIN DU CHATEAU". Below
it is 1970 or rather smudge-smudge-smudge-0. The wine was very good, but
not fantastic. Upon tasting it was rather peppery with not a very long
finish. The alcohol and tannins were rather prominent. Not what I would
expect from a 1970. My girlfriend said the wine did not have the varnishy
taste that is typical of Pauillacs. The amount of sediment was not
impressive. The sediment left was about the size of a quarter on the side
of the bottle and a little less in my glass. I am still up in the air about
this wine. Is it fake or just not an excellent example of the vintage?
1970s have been a favorite of mine. All previous ones have been excellent.
If I were to give this wine a numerical rating it would be in the high 80s.

Fred.