Carnivore269

Default Stocking the spice cabinet..

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On 4 Oct 2003 20:40:04 -0700, (Carnivore269)
> wrote:
>
> >Things I cannot do without:
> >
> >Dried dill

> has as much taste as grass, IMHO.

Not the stuff I grow and dry myself.
It's REALLY good in tuna salads!

> >Dried parsley leaf

> not much more flavor, and parsley is winter-hardy in many areas. Well
> worth growing. One of my favorites

When I grow it here, the baby swallowtail butterflies eat it all. :-P
I recognize the caterpillars and transfer them to the Anise. I don't
use Anise, I just grow it for the baby butterflies. They still get my
parsley if I don't keep up with them.

I can get it fresh at the store, but sometimes the dry is convenient.
The flavor is subtle, but you have to use a lot.

I use it more for color actually.

> >Dried Celery leaf

> what's wrong with the leaves on celery stalks?

I don't always have them.
And I usually give them to my birds. ;-)
That and Kale and Cilantro. Parrots need fresh greens.

> >Dried Basil (I use only fresh out of the herb garden in season but
> >this one freezes back in the winter)

> it doesn't freeze back -- it dies. It's an annual. While fresh is
> about 1000 times more flavorful than dried, it *is* useful in sauces
> and whatnot

Ok. So be picky. <G> At least you grow your own herbs like I do.
Not many people do. Ahhhhh the joys of fresh basil!!! I can use it in
place of lettuce in sandwiches I love it so much!

Dried is ok, I just prefer the fresh.

Herbal medicine-wise, fresh basil is a traquilizer.

> >Rosemary (this one lives thru the winter so I always have it fresh in
> >the garden)

> Lucky you. My large plant died a couple of years ago and I've been
> trying to get another one established ever since. Lovely generous
> plant.

Maybe I can mail you one? Try ebay. Rosemary likes direct sun. My big
one actually did die this year as it got shaded out, but it lived for
about 5 years. I had started a new one in the main herb garden last
year and it's doing well. The herbs are doing better on the West side
of the house in nice sandy soil.

There is also a HUMONGOUS one growing in town outside of the local
greek restaraunt! I've never seen one that big. :-) It's over 3' tall.
I snitch some occasioanlly on my way out.

> >Garlic Powder

> OK

Convenient. ;-)

> >Onion Powder

> OK

Different flavor than fresh. A really wonderful onion powder can be
made by dry roasting onions in the oven for a roasted onion powder.

> >Dried minced onions

> Some usefulness, although it's not much more difficult to keep onions
> on hand and dice when needed

I have them, but this is just a time saver when I'm in a hurry.

> >Salt free Lemon Pepper

> Haven't tried this. I *did* notice that many "lemon pepper" mixes
> included salt, which is a surprise to those trying to cut down on
> sodium.

Nearly all Lemon pepper mixes are 1/2 salt! I had to look to find
this. HEB carries it by "Fiesta" spices. I'm very picky about the
amount of salt in my food which is why I won't buy garlic salt either!
It's nice to be able to use a LOT of lemon pepper without
over-salting. :-)

> >Mixed peppercorns in a grinder

> Just black ones for me. Do the other colors taste significantly
> different?

I think the mix has a richer flavor.

> >Comino (Cumin)

> You betcha! Ground and seeds.

I just buy the powder. <G> I'll look for the seeds and try them,
thanks!

> >Curry

> Have a couple of different kinds, but prefer to use individual spices

I use pure curry powder, not the mixes. I consulted with a bead
supplier from India and he educated me somewhat. He owns an Indian
restaraunt in Chicago.

> >Chili powder

> prefer ground chile, so I can mix my own combo.

Not a bad idea. There are so many different varieties. :-)

> >Cayenne

> Essential

Yup!

> >Oregano (which I don't use very often)

> Useful, and dried lasts a long time. Also have fresh

I had to thin my Oregano patch this year! That stuff takes over. Have
been experiementing with fresh Dittany too. It's a variety of Oregano.

> >Tarragon (fresh if in season)

> Never cared for it, 'though I can't quarrel with those who do.

Have you tried it in Poultry? that's about all I use it for. It's hard
to keep alive tho'. :-(

> >Thyme (same as above)

> Dried is quite flavorful, although fresh is nicer.

<grins> That's another herb in the garden that has over-grown! ;-)
I adore it fresh.

> I would add mustard (ground and seeds), bay leaf, cinnamon, nutmeg
> (whole with grinder), tumeric, seeds (sesame, poppy, caraway, celery,
> cumin), paprika, and dried ground and fresh ginger. And garlic, of
> course. And as many ground/flaked chile things as possible.

Ah! I forgot the Tumeric! That's another one I use. Cinnamon is there,
I just don't use it much.

I've got to start experimenting with seeds, thanks!

I only use ginger powder if I'm out of fresh.
I forgot to add that one too.

C.