Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt Hunt is offline

Default What Wine Does Your Government Buy?

In article >,
says...

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...icle355184.ece

>However, if your governemnt reveals what wine it buys, that argument can be
>demolished.
>

>Occasionally one gets a glimpse of a rather sociable committee meeting:
>http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/Mi...0Feb%20041.htm

Hm-m-m, maybe I need to secure an invitation to Lancaster House, next time I'm
in London.

I would suspect that much of the stash of wine in the UK (under gov. control)
would be Claret and Port, given history.

I do not know that the US gov. has an "official" wine stash. From time to
time, we hear of what is being served at the White House, as the Official
wine(s), but that is about all. Some of the wines have surprised me quite a
bit. Past-President, Clinton seems to have been fond of an AZ cuvee, Buena
Suerte from Callaghan Cellars in Elgin, AZ. Without getting political, it may
be the best that I can say for his administration. I do not know if the Bush
White House has an Official Wine, given the "drinking issues," within the
Presidency - maybe some of the up-n-coming Texas wines?

Interesting stuff,
Hunt