Posted to rec.food.baking
pltrgyst[_1_] pltrgyst[_1_] is offline

Default Rubbery Crepes

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:10:22 -0700, "Chef Blair" >
wrote:

>Check out this recipe
>http://www.frenchpastrychef.com/pastry/1227crepe.shtml

That's a fine recipe for certain dessert purposes, but not if you want a savory
crepe. Too much egg, and unnecessary sugar.

For savory crepes, the basic mix is:

- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg

That's it. If I'm making them for service with jam, etc., for breakfast, I add
1/4 tsp vanilla, which does not impart a noticeable vanilla flavor, but
enrichens the taste subtly.

It's important to beat until *very* smooth. It's important to let the batter
rest at least half-hour (or even overnight), so air bubbles can escape. It's
important to use butter before each crepe on your pan or crepe maker to add
flavor and yield the proper small-bubbled surface texture -- preferably
clarified or ghee, for ease of cleanup. And it's important to cook over high
enough heat (375 deg F on my crepe griddle).

-- Larry