Posted to rec.food.cooking
J[_1_] J[_1_] is offline

Default Recipe Challenge

cathyxyz > wrote:
> Umbrian wrote:
> > Sounds great and I can get everything except the red curry paste. Have
> > any idea how I might make my own?

> I am surprised... we get ready made red curry paste at our Asian
> markets. Where are you in the world?

You may not even need to go to an Asian market. In the US, anyway,
most major grocery stores will carry at least on brand of curry paste,
although you'll end up paying almost $5 for a tiny jar (<2oz).
You can get a few different brands, for very little $$$, from
http://importfood.com/chilipaste_cookingsauces.html
(No affiliation. I use them when I am too lazy to trek to the
nearest Asian market.)

> But if you are feeling energetic here is the recipe to make it
> yourself.. Enjoy!

I'm guessing if the poster can't find red curry paste, he/she
probably won't find lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, shrimp
paste, or Thai chiles either. ;-)

> Red curry paste

[recipe snipped]

I'm surprised that your original recipe has hoisin sauce,
instead of Thai fish sauce.