Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Recipe Challenge

Carol wrote:

> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Bran Muffins (from _Café Beaujolais_, by Margaret Fox)

1 1/2 cups 100% bran cereal
1/2 cup very hot water
1 cup buttermilk
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, combine bran and water. Add buttermilk, egg, oil, and
raisins. Blend.

Then add the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Fill
muffin papers 2/3 full and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.

The batter can keep for a week or more in the refrigerator in a tightly
covered container. Before using, stir to distribute the fruit.

Bob's notes:
1. I use All-Bran cereal.
2. I use dried berries and cherries instead of raisins.
3. I don't sift the baking soda, exactly. I whisk the flour, baking soda,
and salt together in a separate bowl before adding to the batter.
4. After adding the flour, I don't mix "thoroughly," I mix just until
completely combined. Excessive beating at this point will cause the muffins
to become tough.
5. I don't use muffin papers, because the muffins rise higher without them.
I cover the bottom of the muffin cups either with butter or Pam, depending
on what's available.
6. I let the batter sit for an hour after mixing in the flour, to let the
fruit absorb some of the moisture in the batter.
7. Next time I make this, I intend to increase the fruit to 1/2 cup, and add
a teaspoon of vanilla.
8. I stole this recipe.