Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.[_2_] -L.[_2_] is offline

Default Recipe Challenge

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe

This is my best recipe. It has been handed down four generations in my
family. I don't cook or bake from recipes much, but this is one I can
share. Hope you like it! My Mom dictated it from memory and it's been
awhile since I have made it, but I think it's do-able as written.

-L.
**************

Mom's Apple Streusel Coffee Cake

Preheat oven at 350F. Grease and flour a 10X15 pan.

Batter:

21/2 C. flour
1 c. sugar
11/2 c. margarine
1/2 t. salt
11/2 t ground clove (or more)
11/2 t. ground allspice (or more)
2 T. cinnamon (or more)

Mix dry ingredients and reserve 1/2 c. for use as topping Add to
remaining mixtu
1 c. buttermilk (or 1c. whole milk to which 2T apple cider vinegar is
added)
3 lg. Eggs
11/2 t. baking soda
beat batter until well mixed

****************

Peel and thinly slice 3 c. apples

****************
Filling: (mix separately from batter)

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick margarine
1T cinnamon
2t. nutmeg
4T flour

Mix well -should be crumbly

**************************

Grease and flour a 10X15 pan
Layer in order:
1/2 wet batter (just over 1/2)
1/2 filling
apples (slightly overlapping
remaining 1/2 filling
remaining 1/2 wet batter (lay across top in thin ribbons)
top with 1/2 c. reserved dry batter ingredients

Be sure the bottom layer of batter is not too thin, or the streusel
will be soggy on the bottom from the filling.
Bake at 350 for approx 40-50 mins until clean knife inserted in center
comes out clean. (Will brown somewhat and possibly crack on top - this
is ok). Refrigerate to keep.