Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett sarah bennett is offline

Default Recipe Challenge

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
> to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
> back on track. Mine's coming right up!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg

Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

(makes about 15 blintzes)

1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups buttermilk
4 large eggs
3 Tb melted unsalted butter
3 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Whisk together the ingredients in a large bowl, and let sit for a half
hour, covered with plastic wrap.

Meanwhile, make the filling.

2 Tb butter
4 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tb lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt the butter in a medium sized skillet over low heat. Meanwhile, toss
the sliced apples with the remaining ingredients. Raise the temperature
of the skillet to medium-low and cook the apples until tender, stirring
often (10 minutes or so).

To cook the crepes for the blintzes, heat a nonstick or seasoned cast
iron pan with a flat bottom over medium heat, and melt a small amount
(1/2 Tb or less) butter in it, turning the pan so that it is coated with
the fat. Pour about 1/4 of a cup of batter into the pan at a time,
tilting the pan to make crepes about 6" in diameter. Cook each until it
is golden brown on the bottom, and the batter on top is set and dry ,
and place between sheets of waxed paper. You can make the crepes ahead
of time and refrigerate (short term) or freeze (long term) until you
want to fill and fry them.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...irections1.jpg

Fill the blintzes as illustrated above - Place a few Tb of filling along
the bottom of a crepe, fold the sides and then the bottom in, and roll
up. Fry seam side down, in a medium skillet with 2 Tb of butter and 1 Tb
oil over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email: