Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make decadent fudge?

On Sat 01 Apr 2006 08:45:35a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Sarah?

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> The fudge you buy at the specialty candy stores is always so much
>> more sweet and rich than anything I've been able to duplicate at
>> home. What's the secret(s)?
>>
>> I've tried heavy cream, light cream, evaporated milk, butter, etc, but
>> have never been able to make a really good, commercial quality fudge.
>> I just made some chocolate peanut butter fudge
>> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...36_18189,00.ht
>> ml using heavy cream instead of milk (was out of milk), and while
>> it's fairly passable, it's not quite 100%.
>>
>> I should have used 1/4 brown sugar and 3/4 regular for this
>> recipe, but that wasn't the whole problem, I'm sure. I'm not fond
>> of brown sugar as I think it's kinda heavy tasting in most
>> candy-making.
>>
>> -sw

> This is a great UK version of fudge, we don't have chocolate in ours
> unless it is chocolate fudge! (taken from UKTV food web site)
> Clodagh McKenna's easy-to-make creamy vanilla fudge makes a treat to
> tempt a sweet tooth at anytime
>
> Servings: makes 36-48 squares
> Level of difficulty: Easy
> Preparation Time: 20 minutes
> Cooking Time: 20 minutes
>

> Ingredients
> 100ml Milk
> 100ml double cream
> 350g caster sugar
> 80g butter
> 1 tsp vanilla extract
>

> Method
> 1. Lightly butter a shallow baking dish.
>
> 2. Pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan, add the sugar
> and butter and bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat.
>
> 3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring continuously,
> until the mixture registers 115C on a sugar thermometer (this is called
> the soft ball stage).
>
> 4. Stir in the vanilla extract; remove from the heat and leave to cool.
>
> 5. Beat the mixture with a whisk until thick, before pouring into the
> prepared dish to set. Cut into squares to serve.
>
> Sarah

Umm, that sounds simple and delicious! Might I suggest to US cooks, since
we don't have double cream, that they use half heavy cream and half "half
and half". I think the total butterfat would be closer to the original.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬