Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney Christine Dabney is offline

Default Baking flour to make roux

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:19:54 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Is it true you can bake flour until it gets brown and use it as a
>base for a roux that doesn't require much simmering (and
>stirring)?
>
>I just had a jar of roux go bad in the fridge (!?), and I
>remembered reading this at one time, in something or another. But
>Google searches are proving useless using these keywords.
>
>Seems like it would be pretty handy just to keep a jar of baked,
>browned flour in the pantry or fridge and use it to make quick
>sauces rather then keeping a pasty-wet version in the fridge.
>
>Can anyone confirm this rumor, or did I dream this whole theory
>up?
>
>-sw

Yes, I have directions for this method in one of my cookbooks. I
don't have time to look it up today, but will be able to do so this
weekend. Fortunately, this book is one I brought along with me on my
travels. It is a Lee Bailey cookbook.

Christine