Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] friesian@zoocrewphoto.com is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

Lefty wrote:

> The best thing is to cook as small a recipe as practical because otherwise
> no matter what your intentions, the reality is you are going to waste a lot.

I'm actually trying to cook in bulk so that I can not cook so often,
but still take lunches to work, and have something decent for dinner
when I get home. I need to save money and stop buying fast food lunch
at work and microwave meals. If I can make a variety of meals for the
freezer, then I can take out a different meal each day and still have
variety without buying food at work.

> A lot depends on how domestic you are. In my case, I love good food and good
> cooking but my other important interests supercede being home much except on
> weekends, when domestic chores are done, including some cooking.

I can only really cook twice a week. I can do some small stuff in the
microwave and toaster oven after work, but I only have access to the
oven and stovetop two days a week.

> After years of hassling with it I am at a point where if I lived in a city I
> would eat three meals a day at a restaurant during the week (a good
> restaurant) --it would cost about the same overall. If you can do this and
> you cook for one, save the time, money, and the aggravation of shopping for
> one.

I don't have the budget to eat out. That is basically what I have been
doing, and even a $5 lunch is costing me too much. I have to reduce
costs, and cooking my own meals is helping me do that. I'm just finding
too much frost in my containers.

> The point is, be realistic. If after a short while with a system you are
> tossing stuff out a lot, or don't feel like following through with the
> frozen dish you made two weeks ago, whatever, don't think that buying a new
> gadget will solve the problem. The problem amounts to quantity control --
> less is more.

It's been going pretty well for me. I did get bored when I only had 3
different meals, so I quit for awhile. Some of it holds up quite well -
my chili, beef roast, and salmon with pasta have all done well. But my
split pea soup is rather frosty, and my pork steak looks a bit dry.

I'm looking to add more variety, so I figured I would learn more before
I frost some more food.