Posted to rec.food.cooking
Amarantha Amarantha is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> How do you prevent freezerburn? I can't get all the air out of the
> container, so there is always a surface open to the air when it
> freezes.

> For those of you who freeze meals, what containers and methods do you
> prefer?

I have half a dozen small plastic containers, a bit like takeaway food
containers - they cost about $1 for the lot. They're about half a litre
capacity; enough for one re-heated lunch at work. I line each one with a
small freezer bag, put the food in, twist the top of the bag, write on it
with a texta, put the lid on and freeze. Once frozen, I remove the
containers, which can then be re-used.

In the case of soups, stews, curries etc, this tends to remove the air
fairly effectively. Things with more shape like lasagne or whole chicken
bits wouldn't work as well, but then I tend to eat that kind of thing
fairly quickly (over a few nights), and make the stew-type stuff for the
freezing.