Posted to rec.food.baking
cumin cumin is offline

Default Baking stones

Shaun Ginsbourg wrote:
> Can you make your own baking stone?
>
> I read it is a quarry tile (unglazed clay). I suspect they are susceptable
> to breaking if they're not made properly.
>
> Does anyone know a reliable method or should I give up and buy one?

I recently had to replace my pizza stone. I have used tiles and stones
for pizza over the past 5-10 years. The advantage of tiles is that they
can cover the entire floor of the oven, providing more room for pizza
and flatbreads. For less than $5.00 at Home Depot I bought the tiles
and even cut pieces to size, to properly cover the area in my oven.

Unglazed quarry tiles are reddish, unpainted, safe for cooking, and in
my experience better than a pizza stone because you get more usable
area and the material is not so "mysterious" as a pizza stone.