Frogleg

Default Stocking the spice cabinet..

On 4 Oct 2003 20:40:04 -0700, (Carnivore269)
wrote:

>Things I cannot do without:
>
>Dried dill

has as much taste as grass, IMHO.

>Dried parsley leaf

not much more flavor, and parsley is winter-hardy in many areas. Well
worth growing. One of my favorites

>Dried Celery leaf

what's wrong with the leaves on celery stalks?

>Dried Basil (I use only fresh out of the herb garden in season but
>this one freezes back in the winter)

it doesn't freeze back -- it dies. It's an annual. While fresh is
about 1000 times more flavorful than dried, it *is* useful in sauces
and whatnot

>Rosemary (this one lives thru the winter so I always have it fresh in
>the garden)

Lucky you. My large plant died a couple of years ago and I've been
trying to get another one established ever since. Lovely generous
plant.

>Garlic Powder

OK

>Onion Powder

OK

>Dried minced onions

Some usefulness, although it's not much more difficult to keep onions
on hand and dice when needed

>Salt free Lemon Pepper

Haven't tried this. I *did* notice that many "lemon pepper" mixes
included salt, which is a surprise to those trying to cut down on
sodium.

>Mixed peppercorns in a grinder

Just black ones for me. Do the other colors taste significantly
different?

>Comino (Cumin)

You betcha! Ground and seeds.

>Curry

Have a couple of different kinds, but prefer to use individual spices

>Chili powder

prefer ground chile, so I can mix my own combo.

>Cayenne

Essential

>Oregano (which I don't use very often)

Useful, and dried lasts a long time. Also have fresh

>Tarragon (fresh if in season)

Never cared for it, 'though I can't quarrel with those who do.

>Thyme (same as above)

Dried is quite flavorful, although fresh is nicer.

I would add mustard (ground and seeds), bay leaf, cinnamon, nutmeg
(whole with grinder), tumeric, seeds (sesame, poppy, caraway, celery,
cumin), paprika, and dried ground and fresh ginger. And garlic, of
course. And as many ground/flaked chile things as possible.