Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

wrote:
> I've been making food in larger batches and freezing the meals in
> reusable containers. It's working okay for the most part, but it could
> use some improvement.
>
> How do you prevent freezerburn? I can't get all the air out of the
> container, so there is always a surface open to the air when it
> freezes.

You're confusing freezer burn for frost accumulation... with very rare
exceptions (eggs) cooked foods don't get freezer burn. Raw meat is
suseptible to freezer burn... and only very rarely will folks freeze
meat that's been cooked rare enough to be susceptible to freezer
burn... not too often do folks freeze half a rare roast beef sammich...
the trick of course to prevent freezer burn is to cover cooked foods
with liquids (gravy/sauce), even plain water, and the vast majority of
cooked foods folks freeze are already semi-liquid (soups/stews).
Freezer burn is nothing more than the loss of water from food over time
due to evaporation (not dangerous). If you refer to the shelf-life
lists for frozen foods you will discover that none are recommended to
be stored frozen long enough for freezer burn to occur... so how long
are you planning to store that fercocktah scoop of left over dehy
mashed potatoes.

Sheldon