Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] friesian@zoocrewphoto.com is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

I've been making food in larger batches and freezing the meals in
reusable containers. It's working okay for the most part, but it could
use some improvement.

How do you prevent freezerburn? I can't get all the air out of the
container, so there is always a surface open to the air when it
freezes.

I read somewhere to freeze it, then remove it from the container and
put it in a baggy or something. But what would be the best way to wrap
the blocks so that they stay airtight? Saran wrap? Wax paper?

I'm considering getting one of those food saver things? Is it cost
effective for storing individual meal pouches? Or would the bags be
spendy for a bunch of small stuff. Normally, they are are used for
larger packages.

Right now, I am using gladware/tupperware type containers, and I get
2-3 meals out of one container, so when I pick something, I have to eat
it for 2-3 days. If I find a better way< i could do smaller, actual
individual meals, and have a bit more variety as well as preventing the
freezerburn.

For those of you who freeze meals, what containers and methods do you
prefer?