Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Canning peppers in oil

Mark D wrote:
> Have you paid attention to anything we've said about botulism?
> Best regards,
> Bob
> ======================================Howdy Bob, Is it I you are
> addressing this question to?
>
> If so, sure, I paid very close attention, and for yesterday's (Sunday's)
> dinner, what did I make, was Penne, with my own homemade Italian Sausage
> in sauce, and some of my delicious Hot Pepper Giardeneria Mix smothered
> on top.
>
> As I thought of you all, I gleefully added another heaping TBSP of
> peppers.
>
> I'm still alive. and kicking, and will I discontinue making this?....
> nope, I'm afraid not.

No, actually I was addressing Jer.

I assume you're an adult and have made your own informed (ill-informed?)
decision. Maybe your luck will hold out, maybe it won't. I'm more
concerned about Jer following your dangerous advice. I'd hate to have
someone die (or worse) because of something he read in this group.

Lest you think I'm a paranoid Nervous Nellie, I make my own salami. It
is fermented at room temperature, hanged to dried, and eventually eaten
raw. But I cure it with nitrites and acidifying bacteria cultures to
keep it from going toxic. Doing things safely is part of the art.

Best regards,
Bob