Posted to rec.food.cooking
Meghan Noecker Meghan Noecker is offline

Default Bad waitress tricks

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:30:50 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Obviously you've never worked in a restaurant. The salad doesn't make
>itself. And I can guarauntee the line cook isn't making that salad, nor the
>chef at the back of the line.

I think that was his point. Order the salad for $8, and your 15% tip
is $1.20. Order a $20 dinner and your 15% tip is $3.00.

Why does the waitress get a better or worse tip based on the cost of
the meal?

Or take breakfast. That is typically cheaper than dinner. So, the
morning people make less money because the meals are cheaper?

The precedent is already set, but wouldn't it make more sense to base
the amount of the tip on the actual service, and maye the amount of
service you received?

Sometimes, I feel irritated to give a tip when all the lady did was
take my order and come back with it later. It was one plate, nothing
special. I didn't any special requests. I didn't ask for a box. I saw
the lady for less than two minutes total, but I have to pay her $2,
and my friend has to pay $2 for the same service. I know it sounds
cheap, and I realize they don't always get a lot of tips, but you
figure $4 for barely any service (at least to me and my friend), and
they're making pretty good money. Just 3 tables in an hour would pay
better than what I make.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography