Melissa Kraus

Default Salad ideas

The Joneses > wrote in message >...
> LP wrote:

[SNIP}]

> > What other saladingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
> > I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
> > lemon, bacon, ect.

> Who says you need lettuce? You might try jicama (hick a ma) a root vegetable
> which tastes sort of sweet-ish. Like a sweet radish without the bite.

[SNIP]
> Edrena

I don't usually like lettuce salads - somehow between the washing and
drying and tearing and finally chewing they seem like too much work.
(Though the salad spinner if fun!) Objectively, the following salads
aren't really a labor or chewing savings, but I like them better.

Two more jicama/salad ideas:
Peel it and cut it into spears, and sprinkle with lime juice and chile
powder and a tiny bit of salt (or dip into a mixture of FF mayo/sour
cream and finely diced canned chipotles with a bit of lime juice).

Peel it and cut it in smallish (1/2") cubes. Mix with quartered
radishes and chunks of supremed oranges and maybe some seedless
cucumber chunks. Sprinkle with lime juice, a pinch of salt and a bit
of chile powder.

Two carrot salads:
Shredded carrots and chopped cilantro (about 1:1 ratio, more or less
either way) dressed with lime juice, a tiny bit of very finely crushed
garlic, s&p, and maybe a drizzle of olive oil if you are so inclined.

Shredded carrots and chopped flat parsley, as above, but substitute
lemon juice for the lime juice.

A cucumber salad:
Thinly sliced peeled seeded cucumbers, a bit of finely sliced red
onion, some very finely sliced/minced hot peppers. Dress with a
combination of rice vinegar and sugar (taste it so it's not too sweet
or too sour).

And finally, if you like sweet, how about fruit salad?

Hope that helps you get started on salad!
Melissa