Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Salad ideas

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:34:03 GMT, "LP" >
wrote:

>As in the last post, I am trying to eat better. I have never eaten a salad
>(don't laugh!) and I would like to find a lettuce that tastes good. When I
>have tried iceberg lettuce, it just seems so blah. What other salad
>ingredients don't have a yucky taste? I guess I like sweet tasting stuff.
>
>I also know that I need a fat free dressing. I like the flavor of garlic,
>lemon, bacon, ect.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

You might like mache for a green. Young bok choy is also very
agreeable without any dressing at all.

If you can tolerate a little olive oil, make a dressing by smashing a
clove of garlic, just cover it wil oil in a little jar (like what
spices come in at supermarkets). Then put in some "balsamic" vinegar
and shake vigorously and pour over the salad, toss.

Other greens are sharper, but often taste good (to me) without
dressing. Belgian endive, arugula, baby spinach, sorrel, radicchio,
tah choy, etc etc. There are others at the greenmarket whose names
excape me.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again