Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] pluto@quentincrisp.com is offline

Default Olive Garden

> I never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire life. If you go to
> Italy and can't find excellent cheap food you have only yourself to
> blame. It's like going to Germany and complaining about the beer.

First, let me ask a question. Why are people here so quick to negate
-- not refute, not question -- other peoples' opinions? Aside from the
sheer egotistical gall of it, hasn't anybody ever heard of TACT? There
are polite ways to question somebody's veracity, and the word
"ridiculous" doesn't feature in any of them. For the second time in
two days I find my opinion being leapt on by some clueless yahoo, and
frankly I thought this was a nicer newsgroup than that.

Mr. Aitken, do me a favor: Go to Google and search for "+venice +italy
+food +overpriced +tourist." You'll get four hundred hits. The first
one says "And to be honest, no-one goes to Venice for the food. It is
among the least interesting in Italy, little more than nosh if it’s
authentic, and often very ... "

We'll never know what Venetian food is often very, because the page is
gone, but anybody who scored over a hundred on their SATs will probably
guess the next word is "bad."

The second hit, at epinions, says "Expensive and lousy food, tourist
traps." And another one farther down says "Venice has a reputation for
having uninspired restauranteurs. It's the only place in Italy where
you long to return to America for food. . . ." Gosh, which is EXACTLY
what I said.

In the future, Mr. Aitken, stay the hell away from my posts until
you've learned some manners. I have better things to do that argue
with egotistical little yahoos.