Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton[_1_] Blair P. Houghton[_1_] is offline

Default Bad waitress tricks

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Blair P. Houghton" ...
> > Because you make more money than someone who eats a lot of cobb salads,
> > you jerk.

> OK, another good point. What does my income have to do with tipping? If
> I'm a millionaire, am I expected to tip more for a meal than somebody of
> lesser means? Even if it is the same meal? Since when did tipping become
> an obligation indexed to the cost of the meal and one's income?

Since service was invented for rich people who paid their staff good
money and the fact that you're even getting someone else to "wait" for
you is a courtesy you probably don't deserve if you're so penurious
that you won't tip according to the amount you spend.

> It's called a gratuity for a reason. If the waitperson sucked ass, then
> don't tip them or tip them very much.

That's not the question. The question is what does good service
deserve. When the bill is large, the server deserves more of a tip for
the same level of service. Because expensive food is easier to **** up
with slight errors in service. Just getting it right is worth more
money.

--Blair