Posted to rec.food.cooking
salgud salgud is offline

Default Bad waitress tricks

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

> expenditures

> > > I can see the point he's making in a general way -- the rich should
> > > give more to charity, pay proportionate taxes, etc. But if a product is
> > > $25, it's $25 no matter who is paying the bill. Menu pricess don't come
> > > in "poor", "middle", and "rich" varieties.

> > Exactly, because it wasn't about charity, taxes, etc. It's about
> > 2 people walking in, each ordering a tuna sandwich. Identical tuna
> > sandwiches.

> It reminds me of visiting Communist countries during the 70's, they often
> had one (low) price for the locals for stuff (train and air fares, museum
> admissions, hotels, etc.) and an inflated price ("payable in convertible
> currency") for folks visiting from capitalist lands...
>
> I think some places e.g. Russian, Cuba, India, etc. still have this kind of
> pricing for some things...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Are you kidding? You must not travel very much, or pay close attention.
Most tourist places I've been, both in and out of the US, have 2 sets
of prices. One for locals, one for outsiders. The posted/published
prices are for the tourists. But everyone in town knows what the locals
pay, espeically at restaurants.
Here in Co, we can get huge discounts on ski passes if we know where to
get the coupons. I used to have relatives who lived in S. Fla, and we
always got huge discounts for Disney World through them. Couldn't get
those coupons up here!
I've stood in line at local grocery stores in some of these places and
watched what the person in front of me is charged and then compared it
with what I was charged. Often is was very different.
In my experience, 2 sets of prices are the norm in most these places.
Doesn't bother me, which is good, because there's nothing I can do
about it. It's called "life"!