Posted to rec.food.preserving
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default Canning peppers in oil

The Joneses wrote:
> Jer wrote:
>
>> I cut up some sport peppers, celerey,carrots, and califlower then
>>pickled them in vinagar for a couple of days. Then drained them and
>>put into jars and filled them with veg oil. I let it set to make sure
>>all the air bubbles were gone then used the BWB method. When I took
>>them out of the boiling water the liquid wea clear. As the jars cooled
>>that's when the oil began to cloud up. After a day, still cloudy.

Why did you do this? What were you trying to achieve?

> Sounds to me like some of the moisture and or veggie bits in the pickle
> combined with the oil. In _Joy of Pickling_, the author has a few recipes
> containing oils, one is marinated dried tomatoes, then covered in olive
> oil & refrigerated; a cucumber pickle with a layer of oil on top, also
> just refrigerated. I've canned pickled mixed peppers many times with a
> tablespoon of olive oil on top, and a couple other various relishes with a
> little oil in the recipe. I think the pickling first is a good idea, but
> dunno if that will completely eliminate the risks.
> I think Bob(this one) Pastorio makes flavored oils - whattya think Bob?

Guess: Acidifying the peppers *in theory* would help. Their pH should be
low enough to be safe. That's all theoretical. The veggies listed above
won't appreciably flavor the oil.

Having said that, I wouldn't do it unless I had a tested recipe for it.
The advice below is the smartest.

Pastorio