Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter Doug Kanter is offline

Default Are we losing the art of cooking?

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> "Doug Kanter" > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>
>> "Joy of Cooking". Now, get ready for the insipid ****s to arrive with
>> comments. Two of them are regulars here.

> I have the book and have used it many times. I bought it when I was in
> college. I never learned how to cook at home. It's a great book but I
> have
> not opened it for years. I'll have to dig it out and take a look. IIRC
> it
> was wonderful for people wanting the basics and learning how to cook.
>
> Michael

After a point, I think it functions as an encyclopedia. I have a nice recipe
for making bread which requires a "biga" (like a sourdough starter). I'd
never had any left over before, and it needed to be "fed". I didn't know
how. Out came "Joy of Cooking", which explained it nicely. I suppose many
people go to the web for this sort of info, thinking it's faster. It's not.