Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg[_1_] Reg[_1_] is offline

Default Using table sugar in yeast dough

JERRY MINASI wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:09:21 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:

>>>Alton Brown is full of it.

>>Not really.
>>
>>Peter Reinhardt, who has been a baker for a long time, and who has
>>written some highly regarded books on bread baking has this to say in
>>his book The Bread Baker's Apprentice:
>>
>>"During yeast fermentation, the yeast can feed properly ONLY on the
>>most simple sugars like glucose, and to a lesser extent, on
>>fructose...."
>>
>>Later on in the same section on yeast fermentation:
>>
>>"the yeast can't feed on sucrose, or table sugar, because it is a
>>two-chain sugar and thus too complex for the yeast."
>>
>>Christine

> Alton explained this in his show on beer making. He said to put the
> surar in a pan with some water and bring it to a boil. This changes
> the sugar to a compound that the yeast can use.
> Jerry

Alton is stating something that is true, strictly speaking,
but isn't really relevant, at least for the conditions
that the average home baker works in.

He's implying sucrose (table sugar) doesn't feed yeast
very well. Total bullshit.

I've been baking for many years and have experimented with
many differerent type of sugars to augment fermentation.
Maltose (malt sugar), sucrose, fructose, etc.

Experience (as opposed to just reading) will show you
that sucrose feeds yeast just fine. Take several
different types of sugars and add it to warm water
and yeast in measured amounts. The amount of fermentation
will be very close for all of them.

--
Reg