Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan  Horwitz is offline

Default Change for big bills. Was: Bad waitress tricks

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:48:27 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
> >This thread got me thinking - I sure we have all seen signs at quickie
> >marts - "No $50 or $100 bills accepted."

> Gas and convenience stations have done this for years....nothing new
> here.

As far as I know, as long as payment is not requested before the sale,
there is no debt and that rule does not apply. Same at fast food places,
most require payment BEFORE the sale, not after.

Than again, I have seen some people get change for large denomination
bills despite signs being posted that a merchant does not do that.
Usually, this involves some inconvenience to the customer by having to
wait for a manager to handle the transaction.