Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bad waitress tricks

Sheldon wrote:

> Then you'd pay at least 30% more, there'd be no incentive for good
> service, and wait people will net far less because no way, no how will
> the proprietor pay the full amount of the food increase to the hired
> help, and certainly not fairly..

Bullshit. I have have terrific service in places where the menu price, usually
in nice round figures, includes the service and the tax, not the the American
and Canadian stunt of pricing things 1-5 cents short of a dollar amount and then
charging various taxes on top and expecting you to leave another 15% on top in
order to pay their employees. What you don't get is wait staff wearing stupid
"glitter" putting on some childishly phony friendly persona, telling them your
name and touching your arm and all those other tip generating behaviours.

> In the service industry tipping is the best way
> to ensure good service and justly recompenses responsible workers. I
> mean like yoose cheapo *******s don't tip anyway, or so little may as
> well be nothing, and there's no law says ya gotta tip... so why ya
> bitchin'.

Who is the cheapo *******? Is it the person who doesn't leave a tip (often for
reason), or is it the restaurant owner who pays such a paltry wage that servers
needs tips to earn a living wage? Is it the person who looks at the menu prices
and figures it is 15% cheaper down the street .... where he will be expected to
pay an extra 15% anyway?

> Personally I like to tip, same reason I like to pay high property
> taxes.. keeps the riff raff out.

LOL. Anyone who serves the likes of you has already let the riffraff in.