Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett sarah bennett is offline

Default Bad waitress tricks

Goomba38 wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Oh, calm down! LOL!
>> We usually pay with plastic and put the tip on the card. Problem solved.

> As I usually do too, but I wonder at times if the waitstaff prefers cash
> or card? Does it short change them in any way to have it put on the
> card? Anyone know?
> Goomba

AFAIK, tips put on a credit card are paid out the same as cash tips. How
that particular establishment requires the waitstaff to tip out varies.
I suppose if a waiter/ess gets most of their tips on credit cards, it
would mean they would have to pay taxes on those tips, whereas if more
of those tips were cash, they might be actually making more than what
the government assumes they will be making in tips, but not claim them
as income.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/