Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Using table sugar in yeast dough

Abe wrote:
> Alton brown said in a show that table sugar is not good for using in a
> yeast dough because of its structure. Supposedly the yeast can't
> utilize it well. He recommended using something else instead - I can't
> remember what.
>
> Is this true about using table sugar? If so, what's a better
> alternative?

Table sugar is sucrose, which is a double sugar made up of one glucose
and one fructose molecule tied together. IIRC, it is a "left handed"
sugar, where glucose and fructose are both "right handed." The yeast
has to break the bond between these sugars before it can utilize them --
but yeast has an enzyme (invertase?) that readily does this. Really,
the yeast doesn't mind doing this extra step.

Alton probably recommended honey or dextrose or maybe "invert sugar".
Use whatever sweetener you want; baker's yeast can use the starch in the
flour if it doesn't like your sugar. French bread contains no added
sugars at all.

Best regards,
Bob