Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christopher Helms Christopher Helms is offline

Default Using table sugar in yeast dough

>Alton brown said in a show that table sugar is not good for using in a
>yeast dough because of its structure. Supposedly the yeast can't
>utilize it well. He recommended using something else instead - I can't
>remember what.
>Is this true about using table sugar? If so, what's a better
>alternative?

If you're that worried about it, try an equal amount of honey instead
of the sugar. But I really feel compelled to say a few words here.

Having seen many of his shows, I am convinced that Alton Brown is 51%
science-minded cook and 49% goofball and as such he is prone to
crossing the line into questionable advice. Cane sugar works fine as a
"first course" for yeast in making bread. A tablespoon of sugar for
every two cups of bread flour will not give you bad bread or weird
results. It will, however, help your bread rise in less than seven
hours. I once watched Mr. Brown cook a steak by tossing it directly
onto burning charcoal on his show. He is just a little bit crazy
sometimes.