Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default NY Times Article On Dangers Of Sous Vide Cooking

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> NEW YORK REGION | March 9, 2006
> Chefs Looking for Tenderness Meet Tough New York Rules
> By DANA BOWEN
> New York City's health department is cracking down on a French cooking
> method that the city says has not been approved for restaurants.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/ny... 070&emc=eta1

I don't subscribe at the moment to Yahoo Foodsaver group, but did when I got
my foodsaver. I wonder if this is going to worry the home cooks and those
using the vacuum machines.

I don't boil anything in the plastic bags, nor microwave in plastic. For
instance DH brought home from Costco a lobster/shrimp lasagna ($10.49) last
week which has the standard black plastic container which says you can put
in the oven at 375º, but with a warning not to cook over 400º, I believe.
(Whose oven can guarantee these precise degrees?) I never cook in these
plastics, it is so simple just to slip it out into a corning ware-type pan.
I have no argument with those who wish to cook in plastic, nor plastic at
low levels of heat.
Dee Dee