Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Trix[_1_] Trix[_1_] is offline

Default Sourdough Jack- End of Experiment and Winner Declared

So, does this mean that we really don't have to store our dried starter
in the fridge?

35 yrs is a long time. Most dried things last if kept sealed up. Mine
are in small jars and a tiny sealable plastic container.

I still have my sourdough jack book that had come with a starter from
25 or more years ago. Back then I was not successful producing a very
active starter and gave up too soon. I probably didn't feed it
sufficiently or at the right intervals. I eventually gave up and
tossed it because I had just produced a hard, just about solid loaf
that was barely able to be sliced. Sourdough isn't intuitive if you
expect it to be like working with commercial yeast.

Now both my own rye starter and my SDI SF starter are doing well.