Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
DAve Allison DAve Allison is offline

Default when can i tell yeast is active ---

Thanks all for your insights and thoughts. what I learned:
1. Yeast does not always foam and have a layer of "neat bubbly stuff" on
top. Sometimes it's just milky colored and when you stir, it bubbles.
2. Always hydrate yeast before using. It's ok to use a few yeasts, but
don't use too much nutrient, as that will taint the taste. (per input I
received)
3. There is a lot of experience here in this newsgroup. thanks.

I felt like I was whining - so thanks for your inputs. I start a Cab
from concentrate tomorrow. smile.

DAve
p.s. The Pinot Chardonnay is in secondary and starting to clear. It went
from 1.86 or so down to .998 in a few days. USE your hydrometer.