Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

On 2006-03-06, D.Currie > wrote:

> Interesting thing I read somewhere though -- people who are using bottled
> water exclusively and whose kids drink only bottled water are ending up with
> more cavities because they aren't getting the fluoride from the water
> supply.

Bingo! I know there are still thousands, perhaps millions, of folks
out there who still believe fluoride is a communist plot, or some such
nonsense and municipalities are still not fluoridating their water.

I've seen the results of fluoridated water first hand. I grew up
before widespread fluoridation and by time I was eight, every molar in
my mouth had been filled. When my daughter grew up in the 70s, our
water was fluoridated and she had no cavities till she was in her late
teens. Now, in another fluoride free town, my grandkids are getting
cavities left and right. My oldest, five, has just had five cavities
filled. It's criminal! Morons.

As for bottled water, yes there are some really bad municipal
supplies. Even the heralded well water is not beyond being bad. I
recall one location I lived, the well water was almost undrinkable.
Even Kool-Aid was no aid. The only thing that worked was leaving
a vessel in the fridge for about 48hrs. Then it was at least palatable.

These days, instead of buying much overpriced bottles water, I use
Brita. It works very well and is much more cost effective.

nb
..