Posted to rec.food.equipment
kbarch kbarch is offline

Default Power surge ruined my KitchenAid oven. Should I buy the same again?

It's a long and sorry story, but I need to replace a 24" Kichen Aid
double convection electric wall oven that was less than 3 years old.

In brief, we had a power outage, and then apparently a surge when the
power went back on. It tripped and broke the dedicated 30 amp circuit
breaker which was properly sized but old. Electrician hypothesized that
the power got through the breaker, fried the motherboard of the
appliance and was kicked back by the surge suppressor of the appliance
which finished off the breaker. Who knows? We replaced the breaker. We
also replaced the motherboard which was covered by a 3 year warranty.
But the oven never worked right. Neither oven heated up right and kept
cycling on and off erratically making impossible to bake anything that
had to rise.

The appliance repair people, who I do like and trust in this case and
have known for years, say I will be throwing bad money after good to
try to fix it because they think there may be some changes in the
mother board for the newer versions, and both the temperature sensors
and thermometers would have to be replaced. I don't need advice on
repairs. I am past that.
End result is that I need to replace this oven. I may be able to claim
some on the insurance and the utility company might pick up some of the
cost.

So now I need to figure out whether to buy the same oven all over
again. My options are limited as it is only 24 inches wide. I can buy a
cheaper Maytag or GE without the convection feature which I never used
much anyway, and without hidden elements, the advantage of which
besides ease of cleaning eludes me. However with both those alternate
options, I need to do some carpentry to reduce the size of the opening
which will eat up the cost difference and maybe then some. I actually
liked the KItchen Aid but I am afraid that with all the bells and
whistles and the complex motherboard it is prone to breaking again.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? I would really appreciate it.