Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
J Dixon J Dixon is offline

Default when can i tell yeast is active ---

Dave,
Dont get excessive on your addition of Nutrients as they can impart off
flavors in your wine. You can add plenty of yeast and not be concerned as
they are going to multiply into the millions if all goes well. Not all musts
will foam up, and you should trust your hydrometer and look at the top of
the juice and see if it looks like a light fiz is going on there. Also if
the juice was clear before it should be getting progressively cloudy as the
yeast multiply. Did you add any Potassium Metabisulphite to the must? If so-
how much? A ballpark amount would be a 1/4 teaspoon to 5 GALLONS.
HTH
John Dixon