Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

On Fri 03 Mar 2006 05:44:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 09:42:32p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> 28.19...

>> First off, it depends largely on whether you want to buy a full range
>> (cooktop and oven) or a separate cooktop. I don't know of any domestic
>> US free-standing ranges that yet have induction elements in the
>> cooktop. Jenn-Air makes a removable 2-burner unit with halogen
>> elements. Another manufacturer (I forget which) has 1 halogen element,
>> the remaining 3 being resistance elements. There may be others, but
>> there won't be many. That leaves at least 99% of models that have some
>> form of resistant element under the glass. The two major
>> configurations of those elements are a wire coil and a ribbon. I don't
>> think there's a measurable performance difference between the two. One
>> of the main questions you want to ask is the wattage output of each
>> element on the cooktop.
>>
>> If you're looking for just a cooktop, then all options are available,
>> and more than one technology may be included in different elements on
>> the cooktop. The one least available in the US is an all induction
>> cooktop and, IME, disproportionately expensive.
>>
>> Haviang said all that, the halogen and induction technologies are quite
>> common in European cookers, both in free-standing ranges and in
>> separate cooktops. They've been using them for years.
>>
>> I'm not interested in either halogen or induction as the cost is beyond
>> my means, but I've done considerable research on free-standing ranges.
>> One model I'm seriously considering is a Kenmore. It has one dual
>> 9"/12" element, 1 high-output 9" element, 2 6" elements, and a
>> low-output warming zone. It does not have a bridge element, but I have
>> no need for that.
>>
>> Here's a link to that model...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/njnvg
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright ożo

> I'm interested in what you have chosen, but the url seems to have timed
> out and just goes to a sears page, not to the model you have chosen
>
> I'm going to HAVE to have a slide-in unit, which will fit into my
> kitchen counter (which I will be replacing the formica) because that is
> the configuration I have now.
>
> Thanks for the words, "some sort of resistance elements (a wire coil and
> a ribbon) and to look for the wattage.: I'll keep your information;
> thanks for the time to try to enlighten me.
> The fog of war.
> Dee

here's Kenmore's top slide-in model with many features, including a warming
drawer. Hope the link works. If not, the Sears website is very
searchable.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?
BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02246613000&s ubcat=Slide-In+Ranges

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA