Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 09:42:32p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 28.19...
>>> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 07:50:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>>> Randall?

> First off, it depends largely on whether you want to buy a full range
> (cooktop and oven) or a separate cooktop. I don't know of any domestic US
> free-standing ranges that yet have induction elements in the cooktop.
> Jenn-Air makes a removable 2-burner unit with halogen elements. Another
> manufacturer (I forget which) has 1 halogen element, the remaining 3 being
> resistance elements. There may be others, but there won't be many. That
> leaves at least 99% of models that have some form of resistant element
> under the glass. The two major configurations of those elements are a
> wire
> coil and a ribbon. I don't think there's a measurable performance
> difference between the two. One of the main questions you want to ask is
> the wattage output of each element on the cooktop.
>
> If you're looking for just a cooktop, then all options are available, and
> more than one technology may be included in different elements on the
> cooktop. The one least available in the US is an all induction cooktop
> and, IME, disproportionately expensive.
>
> Haviang said all that, the halogen and induction technologies are quite
> common in European cookers, both in free-standing ranges and in separate
> cooktops. They've been using them for years.
>
> I'm not interested in either halogen or induction as the cost is beyond my
> means, but I've done considerable research on free-standing ranges. One
> model I'm seriously considering is a Kenmore. It has one dual 9"/12"
> element, 1 high-output 9" element, 2 6" elements, and a low-output warming
> zone. It does not have a bridge element, but I have no need for that.
>
> Here's a link to that model...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/njnvg
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo

I'm interested in what you have chosen, but the url seems to have timed out
and just goes to a sears page, not to the model you have chosen

I'm going to HAVE to have a slide-in unit, which will fit into my kitchen
counter (which I will be replacing the formica) because that is the
configuration I have now.

Thanks for the words, "some sort of resistance elements (a wire coil and a
ribbon) and to look for the wattage.: I'll keep your information; thanks
for the time to try to enlighten me.
The fog of war.
Dee