Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

28.19...

http://www.ece.mtu.edu/~mtromble/ind.../cooktops.html

>>> --
>>> Steve

>> Thanks, Steve, I've been reading a lot and this is pretty
>> straightforward to me, too. What is confusing to me and I'm going to
>> have to look out for it in my purchase is for instance, I looked at
>> maybe 15 of ranges in Sears (different brands), and I assumed that they
>> were all 'induction,' now I'm not sure what the heck they were. Now
>> that I know induction, I'm wondering what the heck the other ranges are
>> that have that smooth look, so I can ask, "Is this induction, or Is this
>> halogen, or Is this whut! I looked at the GE online that was
>> referenced and I nothing about what the smooth top actually is. I can
>> look-see whether it is coil or gas, but the smooth top without any
>> further description is still beyond me.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Dee

> The vast majority of ranges you see will be neither halogen nor induction.
> Especially in the US, if a cooktop has either of these technologies, the
> description and advertising will be prominant. Another measure will be
> price. Both halogen and, especially, induction will be markedly more
> expensive than a convention radiant smoothtop range.
>

> Wayne Boatwright ożo

Damn! No doubt out of my price range. So! then, is there a choice when you
say, "let me look at your smooth-tops" as to the question to ask, "what's
the burner-elment underneath"? ceramic, or what? Is there a big difference
as to the cooking abilities of the different elements?
Thanks, Wayne,
Dee