Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:57:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
Aitken?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 02:34:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
>> Aitken?

>>> The overheating tends to happen with too small a pot (smaller than the
>>> element) and/or a pot that does not have a reasonably flat bottom. The
>>> reason is that the heat is not conducted away from the element so it
>>> overheats.

>> It can happen with either too small or too large a pot.
>>

> How would you know with a too-large pot? You'd need to see the element
> cycling off. In any case, so what? The worst that would happen is that
> the canning bath would take slightly longer to boil.

Depending on the cooktop, the cycle-off period may be extended. It should
be obvious if the heat subsides for too long. The worst that could happen
is a damaged element/circuit, based on some manual I read while researching
ranges. I don't recall the brand.

If anything, one should be sure about the particulars when making a choice.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA