Posted to rec.food.equipment
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:53:14 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
>considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
>http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
>The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
>cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
>about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
>who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
>that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
>bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
>at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
>thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
>issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
>What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
>hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
>likely.
>
>My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
>you had a coil burner range?

I have and I do not.

>Have you ever canned using one?

Nope and though I do not know the weight of a canner, I have had huge
vats of sauces and soups in a 23 qt stock pot that I call the "baby
boiler." Filled near to the top with stuff all the time for 3+ hrs at
a time. In fact it is in the process of producing a large amount of
mushroom barely soup.

>Anything you hate about it?

I have a KA. The trim around the edges started chipping within the
first year, KA basically told me to stuff it. Nary a drop of wear on
the glass cooking part, though, after a decade of use.

Find out the BTU ratings for each of your new burners and compare them
to what you have, though. And look to see if there are different size
burners on it. The burners may have different ratings and the one you
may want to use for canning, may not be the rating/size you need.

I love it.

I thought I'd never be able to live without a gas range. HA!

Boron